Monday, July 8, 2013

Nina, Nemeth, RCCNZ PG 9

Page 1 Search Suspended
Evi Nemeth, Bert Meets The Stars
Page 2  The Story
Page 3  About the Nina
Page 4  Dyche Family Page
Page 5  Evi Nemeth
Page 6  Matt Wootton
Page 7  Kyle Jackson
Page 8  Danielle Wright

Page 9  The RCCNZ

Page 10  To the Families
Page 11  What Went Wrong
Page 12  Last Message From Nina Crew
Page 13  Family Of Nina Crew Appeal For Search Funds
Page 14  Family Anxious For Search To Begin
Page 15  RCCNZ and Equusearch Talking

Page 16
Page 17  New Zealand Responds
Page 18  Eqqusearch Seek Satellite Imagery Pro
Page 19  A New Generation Of Cooperation
Page 20  Wild Speculation No Help
Page 21  Sailboat Washes Up On Beach
Page 22  Nina Fund
Page 23  Nina Makes Prime Time
Page 24  Kyle Jackson, Hiya Mom!
Page 25  U.S. Coast Guard Endangers Lives of Nina 7
Page 26  Equusearch, Nina Families, Ask For Help
Page 27  Apathy From US Officials

Page 28  Families Seek More Funding
Page 29  Standing Up To Uncle Sam
Page 31  Reason For Hope Rescue After 76 Days At Sea
Page 32  Breaking News Delayed, TES Profile

 RCCNZ Launches Search

TV NZ Photo Airforce Orion


On June 29th, authorities speculated the Nina had sunk suddenly.  They put the date on or about June 4th, 2013.  The conclusion was based upon not being able to locate the yacht despite extensive searches and the fact the EPIRB was never set off.  Further, the Spot tracker, which had failed to give a signal for some time, had not given a signal.  Nor had the crew called for help.  The search covered 750,000 miles.  Pending new information, the search was suspended.  A suspended search does not mean no further efforts will be expended on behalf of the sailors.  Should new information come forth, new efforts will be considered.

Sailors have come to respect the decisions of the search authorities.  The cost of a search is significant while using sophisitcated resources.  No longer do the authorities simply send out a plane in a grid.  Sohpisticated radar and sometime satellite searches are often performed.  The search authorities are keenly aware of the effects news of a suspended search will have on the families.  These decisions are never taken lightly.  SAR officers and crew are frequently sailors themselves.

Some have questioned whether the Nina was a safe yacht.  She clearly made many voyages carrying her captain and family thousands of sea miles.  Few sailors would put to sea across a expanse of ocean as fierce as the Tasmin Sea unless their yacht was in excellent condition.  Clearly, the Captain has as much to lose as any other crew on board.

David Dyche IV (Facebook)

However, with no physical evidence having been recovered, and no sightings of the missing Nina, the families should not lose hope.   

The speculation of a catastrophic event causing the Nina to sink is just that.  Speculation.  No one knows the fate of the 1928 winner of the Queens's Cup.  Sailors have been known to survive months at sea after taking to lifeboats.  An even better scenario, the Nina could be floating in the vast expanse of ocean not searched by RCCNZ without sails and perhaps, without a working engine.  She might be floating without a working EPIRB as they become faulty if penetrated by the salty sea.  

Rescue devices like EPIRBS are often placed near the gangway in easy grasp in times of emergency, but also where ocean water strikes them during passage through the hatch.  Only time, fate and destiny will reveal the answers to the missing yacht Nina.

RCCNZ Press Release

6 July 2013: 11.00am

The search for an American schooner missing en route from New Zealand to Australia has been formally suspended, after 12 days of searching found no sign of the vessel or its crew.

Danielle Wright (Facebook)

The 21m (70ft) Nina, sailing from Opua in the Bay of Islands to Newcastle with seven people on board, has not been heard from since 4 June.

The Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) started a communications search on 14 June to broadcast alerts of the vessel and others in the area, and instigated aerial searches after the vessel failed to arrive in Australia as expected. A Royal New Zealand Air Force P3 Orion covered about 737,000 square nautical miles (an area about eight times the size of New Zealand) in the search. There were also shoreline searches by fixed wing aircraft and helicopters.

Dyche Family (Cherie Hernandez)

RCCNZ’s Operations Manager, John Seward, said the search effort had comprehensively covered all areas where the vessel or its crew could reasonably have been expected to be found. “The search has been extremely thorough and we are confident that had the yacht or liferaft been within those search areas, we would have found them,” he said.

“For this reason, after carefully reviewing all of the information gathered over the last month, and in the absence of any further developments, the Director of Maritime New Zealand has accepted the recommendation to formally suspend the search.

Kyle Jackson

“This difficult decision has not been made lightly, and we are obviously disappointed that we have not found Nina’s crew,” said Mr Seward. “However, we have had to conclude there is nothing more we can do at this stage.”

RCCNZ has been in contact with the crew’s friends and family, who provided useful background information to assist with the search. “RCCNZ and all those involved in the search operation pass on our deepest sympathies to the families and friends of the missing crew,” said Mr Seward.

Matt Wootton, Kyle Jackson

He said the suspension means the search will be stood down unless any new information comes to light. However, broadcasts over Maritime Radio will remain in place, advising that the Nina is missing and asking other vessels to report any sightings. “It is possible the search could be reactivated, if any significant new information comes to light.”

Mr Seward thanked the Royal New Zealand Air Force and the Phillips Search and Rescue Trust for the many hours they had spent searching for the yacht.


The schooner Nina, built in 1928, left Opua on 29 May with seven people on board (three American men aged 17, 28 and 58, three American women aged 18, 60 and 73, and a British man aged 35) and was last heard from on 4 June, when the vessel was about 370 nautical miles west-north-west of Cape Reinga. Records show that conditions at the vessel’s last known position were very rough, with winds of 80kmh gusting to 110kmh and swells of up to 8m.

Matthew Wootton

The vessel was equipped with a satellite phone, a Spot satellite personal tracking device which allows regular tracking signals to be sent manually, and an emergency beacon. The emergency beacon was not activated.

Search summary

4 JulyThe RNZAF P3 Orion conducted a radar search of an area of 120,745 square nautical miles extending as far west as the Middleton and Elizabeth reefs in the Tasman Sea.

David Dyche (Wooden Boat)

2 JulyA visual and radar search south of Norfolk Island, covering approximately 2,100 square nautical miles, conducted by the P3 Orion.

1 July

A visual and radar search of approximately 3,780 square nautical miles north of North Cape, conducted by the P3 Orion.

Evi Nemeth and family

30 June

An extensive visual and radar search by the P3 Orion of 4,830 square nautical miles north-east of Northland.

29 June

A helicopter undertook an extended shoreline search for a liferaft and crew, from Port Waikato to New Plymouth.

28 June


A twin-engine fixed-wing aircraft was tasked to search the shoreline and coast, starting at Tauroa Point, along Ninety Mile Beach, north of Northland and out to and around the Three Kings Islands.

26 June

A radar search was completed of 324,000 square nautical miles between northern New Zealand and the Australian coast, based on the vessel suffering damage but continuing to make progress towards Australia.

25 June

An RNZAF P3 Orion conducted a radar sweep of 141,000 square nautical miles while transiting from the Cook Islands (returning from an earlier search and rescue mission) to the defined search area of 140,000 square nautical miles, to the immediate north-north-east of New Zealand, based on the vessel being disabled and drifting.

14 June

RCCNZ instigated a communications search, using a range of communications methods to broadcast alerts to the vessel and others in the area.


For further information contact:

Maritime New Zealand Media Line

Phone 04 499 7318

Media please note: Maritime New Zealand is not expecting to provide any further updates.

For further information contact:

Maritime New Zealand Media Line

Phone 04 499 7318

Crossing The Bar

Alfred Lord Tennyson

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,
But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home. 

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark; 

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crossed the bar.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! Everyone has a point of view and yours counts!