Monday, July 8, 2013

Nina, Nemeth, Page 3 About the Nina

SS Nina


Búsqueda personalizada

Page 1  Search Suspended

Page 2 The Story

Rosemary Dyche (Facebook)

Page 3  About the Nina

Page 4  Dyche Family
Page 5  Evi Nemeth

Page 6  Matt Wootton
Page 7  Kyle Jackson

Page 8 Danielle Wright

Page 9 RCCNZ

Page 10  To the Families

Page 11  What Went Wrong?
Page 12  Last Message From Nina Crew
Page 13  Family of Nina Crew Appeal For Search Funds
Page 14  Family Anxious For Search To Begin
Page 15  RCCNZ Less Than Cooperative in New Nina Search
Page 16  Third Day of Nina Search, Funds Needed
Page 17  New Zealand Responds
Page 18  Equusearch Seeks Satellite Specialist
Page 19  A New Era Of Cooperation
Page 20  Wild Speculation Won't Help
Page 21  Sailboat Washes Up On Beach
Page 22  Nina Fund
Page 23  Nina Makes Prime Time
Page 24  Kyle Jackson, Hiya Mom!

Page 25  U.S. Coast Guard Endangers Lives of Nina 7
Page 26  Equusearch, Nina Families, Ask For Help
Page 27  Apathy From US Government

Page 28  Families Seek More Funding
Page 29  Standing Up To Uncle Sam
Page 30  Possible New Location
Page 31  Reason For Hope
Page 32  Breaking News Delayed, TES Profile
Page 33  Positive Despite The Negatives
Page 34  Tomnod Saves Lives
Page 35  Holding
Page 36  Tasman Takes Two
Page 37  91 Days Lost At Sea
Page 38  Your Calls Needed


Unfortunately, the Nina was not equipped with a modern EPIRB.  Newer model EPIRBS are activated manually or by water switch when they get wet.  The older version EPIRB carried by the Nina did not have a water switch.  Some EPIRB water switches fail anyway if penetrated by salt air.  Many sailors put their EPIRB by the cabin gangway so it is easy to grab in the event of an emergency.  Unfortunately, it also makes the unit subject to dousing from a following wave if the cabin hatch is left open.

The Nina Designer


Possessed of a mind for math and engineering, an eye for things beautiful, and an ear for poetry, William Starling Burgess was born to wealth and social prominence, but orphaned with only modest means at the age of 12. He inherited his passion for boats and the sea from his father, Edward, who in the eight years before his untimely death in 1891 had risen from sudden financial ruin to a stunningly successful career in yacht design. The elder Burgess was creator of three America's Cup defenders, Puritan, Maylower, and Volunteer, in 1885, 1886, 1887, and many other celebrated yachts, both sail and steam.

Edward Burgess's example was so powerful that Starling felt compelled to leave Harvard College before graduation in 1901 to pursue his own career in yacht design. At age 22, W. Starling Burgess (WSB) set up shop as a yacht designer in Boston. Two years later in 1903, he joined forces with IT and Herreshoff Mfg. Co. alumnus A.A.  Packard-an alliance that lasted until about 1908.

Packard had special expertise in the structural aspects of yacht design, and the Burgess 8c Packard firm plater renamed W. Starling Burgess Co., Ltd.) went on to build boats (sailing racer/cruisers, gasoline-powered autoboats, and sailing canoes, among others), as well as design them. WSB's great natural talent was further honed in his early years by close ties with N.G.Herreshoff, George Lawley, and Edward Burgess's business successor, Arthur Binney. WSB claimed to have designed 223 yachts and commercial vessels during his first decade of practice (1901-11), including "small steamers, motor yachts, trading and fishing schooners, racing yachts, cruisers, and racing launches; also five one-design classes.

Matters of the heart (love and poetry) and an eventful and demanding seven-year foray into the aviation business diverted WSB's attention from yacht designing until after World War I when, in 1919, he settled in Province town, Massachusetts, to draw boats once again, this time with the help of Frank C. Paine and L  Francis Herreshoff, both of an age and some dozen years WS's juniors.

One of the few Starling Burgess Yachts left, the Cytherea

In 1921, the operation moved to Boston and became Burgess 8c Paine; in 1923, when A. Loring Swasey joined the fold, Burgess, Swasey, and Paine was formed. In 1925, WSB's third marriage failed and he relocated to New York and set up yet another design office with yacht broker Jasper Morgan (and later Linton Rigg).

Although the business changed names with each new alliance from Burgess 8c Morgan, to Burgess, Rigg, 8c Morgan, to Burgess 8c Donaldson, to W. Starling Burgess, Ltd.-the designs produced in New York from about 1926 to 1935 all had the clear mark of WSB's genius. It is from this period that the bulk of Mystic Seaport's Burgess 8c Donaldson collection comes. It was also during these New York-based years that WSB designed Enterprise in 1930 and Rainbow in 1934 for the successful defense of the America's Cup.

The Cytherea in her heyday

In 1933-34, WSB joined forces with Buckminster Fuller to design and produce the streamlined, three-wheeled Dymaxion automobile, but these were Depression years and the endeavor folded after only three of these revolutionary vehicles were built. WSB came away bankrupt but with a new wife (his fourth), with w hom he moved to Wiscasset, Maine. There he took up a joint venture with Alcoa and Bath Iron Works having to do 2 OFF CENTER HARBOR . COM with aluminum-hulled, high-speed torpedo boats and destroyers for the U.S. Navy. 

Within a couple of years, WSB (along with co-designers Sparkman 8c Stephens) took on the task of designing his third America's Cup defender, Ranger. That Bath Iron Works (the location of WSB's office) was chosen as builder seemed a natural outcome.  

In Bath Wiscasset, and later in New York and Washington, D.C., WSB had various associations with Alcoa, Bath Iron Works, and the U.S. Navy involving the use of aluminum for hull construction, the manufacture of special high-strength yacht hardware, and a wide variety of naval weaponry and anti-submarine devices. This continued throughout the war and right up until his death in 1947. Yacht designing became more of an avocation during those final years, often carried out vicariously through his protege and fifth wife, Marjorie, who, with WSB's tutoring, became skilled at drafting and design.

 SV Nina

The Nina was designed by Starling Burgess (1887-1947) and built by Ruben Bigelow for Paul Hammond.  She was designed specifically for the 1928 Queen of Spain's Cup race from New York to Santander, Spain a race sponsored by the King and Queen of Spain.

"Nina became legendary in her first year when she won a much-publicized transatlantic race to Santander, Spain. Winning soon came to be expected of her, however, under DeCoursey Fales's ownership which began in 1935. Fales owned Nina until he died more than 30 years later, consistently winning races and capping their victorious record together in the 1962 Bermuda Race with a first-in class and first-in-leet win. Even if Nina had been less swift, she'd still rate as one of Burgess's signal designs because of her stunning beauty.

Her delicate wineglass-shaped transom has always been a favorite, but her svelte lines in general have much to recommend them. Part of her short-sterned shape resulted from a loophole in the prevailing measurement rule-a loophole subsequently exploited by Sherman Hoyt in his design of the similar Mistress. That same loophole, I suspect, accounts for the shape of Burgess's larger, somewhat less extreme (and as yet unidentified)schooner of 1930" 
 From Boat Plans At Mystic Seaport


Family Dyche and the Nina

The Nina won the Queen's Cup race and then broadly smiling sailors lifted the Fastnet title from the English in the fourth annual Fastnet race.  Years later, in 1979, 15 sailors and 3 rescuers were lost as the Fastnet was hit with violent storm.  Also lost in the 1979 race were 25 of the 308 yachts participating.

More recently, the Dyche family piloted the Nina to a win of the New York Mayors Cup in 1989 and the schooner class at Antigua in 1994.

David Dyche restored the Nina after purchasing her in 1988.  He called the restoration "a labor of love".  He finished the labor intensive replacement of the teak deck, a three year project, in 1999.  However, a wooden boat like the Nina requires continuing projects.  In that sense, a restoration never ends.

Dyche said in Wooden Boat, "A labor of love, yes, unconditional. After 23 years of this relationship I have never gotten discouraged by even the most major setbacks, [whether] a row of floors deep in the bilge need replacing or a new deck. It is a constant endeavor with one thing in mind: to get the most out of an application of work... each fastener holding the utmost, in a cumulative effort for an overall strength of the vessel. (NIÑA has a starboard list [in this photo] because of the engine out on deck set to starboard.)"

In 2010, David Dyche said, "As the Sea becomes your home. Your heart beats to to the rhythm of the waves, you feel the rise and fail of the tides with out the sight of land, the stars accompany you though out the night wondering across the sky.The sounds of waves and occasional sound of a strange bird is all that is heard. The sails stand before you, not a ripple or movement as if they where cast of stone, so placid is the moment....

Captain David A. Dyche III

Dyche was a minimalist as far as high-tech radio equipment is concerned.  They didn't have EPIRBs and satellite phones in 1928.  In addition to the older EPIRB, Dyche outfitted the Nina with a tracking device called a spot tracker.  The device connects through a satellite telephone to report the position of the yacht every hour.  The idea is for relatives well wishers to be able to watch the cruising family as they bob across the ocean.  Unfortunately, the Spot Tracker has notoriously poor reception over the Tasman Sea.  The unit quit working long before the Nina sent her last text messages on June 4th.

There was also a VHF radio on board and an 8 man life raft. However, there was no short wave radio which is used to connect into the marine ham net for long distance communications.  The lack of high tech equipment does not necessarily make the Nina an unsafe yacht.  Men have been plying the oceans for centuries using only the stars for navigation.  No radios existed, no EPIRBS or Spot devices existed.  Some sailors prefer to head to sea with less equipment.

     Others plod out into the wide expanse of the ocean under the false sense of security their high-tech electronic equipment will save the day.  That may be the case if the electronic equipment is functioning.  Electronics are never perfect.  Even with all of the goodies in place, there is no guarantee a sailor will be saved by his electronics.  The crew of the yacht Grain de Soliel had a newer EPIRB.  None of the crew were ever found after it's EPIRB was activated manually four times.

     The sails were used, but reconditioned.

Continued on Page 4


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! Everyone has a point of view and yours counts!