Saturday, September 21, 2013

Australian At Sea Rescue Saves 1




Helicopter Pulls 1 Person to Safety


PRIOR POSTS, CHECK 'EM OUT!
Last 5 Posts
Page 69  Kiwi's Push For Win At America's Cup 
Page 70  Oracle Team Has Everything To Lose, and Everything To Gain
Page 71  My First Bit Part In A Music Video
Page 71  Two Wins To Victory!
Page 72  Families Ask Department Of State To Take Leadership Role



Wayne Sorensen is an Australian commercial fisherman who was 110 miles offshore when disaster struck.  He was on his way back to Australia when he started to have chest pains.  


Rescue Copter Pulls Man To Safety Over Sea


"It was about 8 am and I started having pains in my chest. I called in the guys at about 11am to head back. We got about two hours into the (20-hour) trip home and I felt like I was no good."

Sorensen was put in radio contact with a doctor.

"You are having a heart attack," he was told.

An RACQ Capricorn helicopter was sent to rescue the ailing skipper.  The chopper located Sorensen's fishing boat and lifted him aboard during a risky hover over the boat.  

"I guess it was pretty frightening, but there wasn't a time I thought I was going to die. I've always been pretty fit ... so I definitely wasn't expecting it; I thought it was just heart burn," Sorensen said.


"When they came, I waited on the roof and helped them out. The man said, 'Who's the guy having a heart attack?' and I replied, 'You're looking at him'," he laughed.

After arriving at the hospital, Sorensen was told he had experienced a massive heart attack.  However, thanks to RACQ Capricorn, the salty sailor plans to be "out there" as soon as he recovers.  Sorensen gives the rescue crew an "11 out of 10" for their rescue.

Unlike twin engine aircraft, if a helicopter experiences engine failure they must ditch in the sea.  

Some of the information in this article was obtained from the Fraser Coast Chronicle.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! Everyone has a point of view and yours counts!